Churches And Chapels

Furness Vale Methodist Chapel

A postcard showing the stages of development of the chapel. At the top, as a Sunday School from 1840 .  Bottom left as extended in 1864. Bottom right, rebuilt as a chapel in 1885

The Methodist Choir, date unknown

For the Chapel centenary in 1912, a commemorative cup was produced. An example of the cup has recently been donated by Beth Kucera of Madison, Wisconsin, U. S. A.


In June 1951, Manchester architects Halliday and Agate of John Dalton Street, prepared plans for alterations to the chapel.  The proposals included a new entrance vestibule, kitchens, toilets and new rooms above the boiler house. Sections of the plans are reproduced below. The architects are better known for their design of London's Battersea Power Station.


In 1927 the Methodist Sunday School staged a play. Here the cast are assembled at No 3 Diglee Road.

The Chapel in 2010, now converted to apartments.

The memorial tablet from the Methodist Chapel has now been re-erected in St. John's Church. 

30 -34 Yeardsley Lane In March 2010, . These cottages built in 1822 housed the first methodist chapel in Furness Vale.

Bridgemont Methodist Mission
 The founder members including Robert and Hannah Marshall c1900

The canalside building at Bridgemont housed the paintshop of boat painter Mr Kaye.  Mrs Kaye is her outside the building which also served as the first mission hall

Photographed in March 2009, the later chapel, built in 1933
is now a village hall and community centre

St James Church, Taxal

Some early 20th Century photographs.